Do you want to study in USA in 2018? If you do, you want to study at the best university in America which is Harvard University. Harvard University is offering fully funded scholarships for undergraduate and graduate international students to help them attend Harvard. To create a more diverse community in campus, the Harvard University scholarships are being offered to not hinder the financial limitation of many international students from attending one of the best universities in the world. Over the years, many international students have received Harvard University scholarships and became very successful after they have graduated.
Harvard University was founded in 1636 in Massachusetts, USA. It is the oldest institute of higher learning in the USA and is associated with wealth, power, prestige, and high academic standards. This university is part of the Ivy League, an association made of the most prestigious universities in USA. The other members of the Ivy League consist of Yale, Cornell, Princeton, Columbia, University of Pennsylvania, Dartmouth, and Brown.
There are many who desire to study in USA. Acquiring scholarships from Harvard University will be a perfect opportunity for those who do. This university offers many scholarships for 2018 to international students, making their wishes of studying in USA to come true. If you want to know how to receive these scholarships, keep reading.
Harvard University Rankings
Harvard University is ranked very high in the US and global rankings because of its high academic standards. In the US News Rankings, the most trusted ranking system for USA, this university is ranked 2nd best university in the US. In the QS World Rankings, this university is ranked 3rd best university in the world. Harvard University has ranked high in the past and continues to rank high in both the US and Global Rankings.
Harvard University Tuition and Fees
Harvard University tuition is very high for both domestic and international students who wants to study in USA. For one year of undergraduate students, Harvard University tuition is $44,990, fees are $3,959, room is $10,300, and board is $6,360. The total of tuition, fees, room, and board is $65,609 per year. The tuition for graduate students is equally as high, costing around $50,000 a year which differs depending on the area of study.
The sticker price of $65,609 per year is very high for most people. However, domestic and international students are eligible to receive Harvard University scholarships to cover most of that cost. Fully funded scholarships for undergraduate international students and graduate international students are available to help with that costs.
Harvard University Scholarships (Undergraduate)
Harvard University is dedicated to removing the financial barrier between Harvard education and promising international students who desire to study in USA. Because of this dedication, undergraduate international students can receive fully funded Harvard University scholarships to cover the cost of attendance. Also, undergraduate students and domestic students are treated the same with regards to receiving scholarships. Scholarship Amount
Students with family income less than $65,000 a year- They will receive a fully funded scholarship for undergraduate international students consisting of tuition, fees, room, and board. They are not expected to contribute to the cost of attendance.
Students with family income between $65,000- $150,000 a year- They will be asked to pay approximately 0%- 10% of their total income per year depending on family circumstances. That will be $0- $15,000 a year based on your total family income and your financial circumstances.
Students with family income that is more than $150,000 a year- They will be asked to pay proportionally more than 10%. The exact amount is different for each student based on their circumstances.
You can find the information about the specifics at Harvard University Scholarships 2018.
Applying to Harvard University Scholarships is an arduous task. In this section, I will explain how to submit the application to Harvard.
- Students need to first prepare the Common Application which can be used for most American Universities. You can find more information about the common application in this article.
- Students need to prepare the required documents and submit those documents with the Common Application.
- There are many required documents to apply to Harvard University Scholarships. It takes months to prepare all the necessary documents, so prepare ahead.
- Application and Supplements
- $75 application fee or fee waiver
- ACT with writing or SAT with Writing
- Two SAT Subject Test normally (maybe waivered if you are in a financial hardship)
- Secondary School Report
- Mid-Year school report
- Two teacher evaluations
For more information about these required documents, visit Harvard Application Process Page.
Harvard University Scholarships (Master’s)
Harvard University Master’s students can get funding through various Harvard fellowships and work positions that Harvard University offers to both domestic and international students. The aid, however, is limited compared to undergraduate and PhD students. Here are some fellowships and work positions that you are eligible as an international student whose desire is to study in USA.
Fellowships for Students from Specific Countries
International students that are from specific countries are eligible to receive Harvard fellowships. These Harvard fellowships are intended for students from specific countries to study at Harvard. To see the complete list, visit Harvard Fellowships for International Students. The application dates and procedures are different for each fellowship, so check out the link.
International students are eligible to receive outside funding other than Harvard Fellowships. These fellowships are awarded by the government organizations and other organizations to fund research and studies at Harvard University. The available outside fellowships are different for each department. So, you would have to research in Google “Outside Fellowships for [type in field of study] Master’s students at Harvard University.” Click on the link that is available for you and check the eligibility requirements of each fellowship. If you meet all the eligibility requirements, apply for the fellowship.
Dudley House Fellows
The Dudley House Fellows organize different activities in the Dudley House which is the graduate student center. These fellows work to enrich the graduate life at Harvard by planning for activities. As the part of the compensation for their work, students receive 10 meals per week at Dudley House Dining Hall, guaranteed housing in residence halls, and $3,000 stipend.
Graders help grade undergraduate student’s work and get paid a fraction of teaching fellow’s salary. The Harvard Undergraduate Education approves the employment of graders.
When new graduate students move into the graduate dormitory, the resident advisors help the new students to get adjusted to the college life. Resident advisors do receive free room and lunch and supper on weekdays. Students need to have lived in the dorm for at least one semester to be eligible. The application starts in January for the upcoming year.
These students guide freshman Harvard students as they adjust to the new college life. These students live in the freshman dorm to help them if they do need help. Priority is given to students who apply in January.
The resident tutors are tutors that live in the residence hall of the undergraduate students and help them in their classes. They will receive $11,345 per ten months and additional $850 for the summer. The last day to apply is the last day of January.
These are the most common types of fellowships and employment, but there are other opportunities for international students in a variety of areas. Students may be employed both on-campus or off-campus to receive money for their tuition.
Harvard University Scholarships (PhD)
Every student that is in a PhD program receive fully funded scholarships. These excellent Harvard University scholarships consist of tuition, fees, living expenses, and health insurance which are covered by tuition grants, stipends, teaching fellowships, research assistantships, and other appointments. These scholarships and fellowship help those students who wish to study in USA. A standard package consists of the following:
- Full tuition grant for five years
- Living stipend for years 1 and 2
- Combination of stipends, teaching fellowships, and research assistantships during years 3 and 4
- Stipend or research support for year 5
- $2,500 for professional development
Students might receive more than the following amount due to external fellowships that other organizations offer to students. However, this is an average amount of Harvard University scholarships that you will receive as a PhD student. If you have any questions about the scholarship amount, visit “Funding for PhD Students” at Harvard University Funding for International Students.
How to Apply for Harvard University Scholarships (Master’s)
Prospective international students should go to “Other Sources for Funding” at Harvard University Scholarships Page to see the application procedure for these different types of scholarships.
How to Apply for Harvard University Admissions (Master’s, PhD)
Applying for admissions as international students is essentially same as applying as a domestic student with few exceptions such as the language proficiency exam. In this section, I will list all the necessary documents and procedures for applying to Harvard University as an international student.
- Online application form and application fee of $105
- Uploaded transcripts to the online application
- Three letters of recommendation
- Statement of Purpose
- GRE (Graduate Record Examination)
- Demonstration of English Proficiency for international students (TOEFL of 80)
- Writing sample where required
- Start the online application. Students need to go to the appropriate graduate school of Harvard and start an online application (Ex. Graduate School of Engineering for engineering majors, etc.)
- Upload your transcripts form to the online application
- Confirm the 3 faculty members for the recommendations
- Write a statement of purpose. This should convey your interest, academic qualification, and your goals in the graduate program.
- Take a Graduate Record Examination (GRE). GRE which is a standardized test for graduate programs is required for all programs except Astronomy.
- Take an English Proficiency Exam. International students are required to take the TOEFL and score at least a score of 80. Some programs will require higher scores.
- Submit the application when all the application form and the required materials are filled.
How to Apply for Harvard University Scholarships (PhD)
All admitted PhD students are eligible to receive scholarships. Therefore, there is no separate application procedure for PhD students except applying for admissions. Students can find more information about applying for admissions at the previous “How to Apply for Harvard University Admissions (Master’s, PhD)” section.
Admission Dates to Receive Scholarships for 2018
The application for both Master’s and PhD program opens in September. However, the admission deadlines differ for a different area of study. The most common application deadlines are December 1, December 15, or January 2 to receive scholarships in 2018. Check with the department of your field of study for specific deadlines for your field of study.
Guide on How to Study In USA
This article focused on how to receive Harvard University Scholarships. In this section, I want to take a little time to discuss on how to study in USA in 2018. It is many students desire to become a student in America, so I have made a little guide to help you on your journey.
- Go to American University’s website in which you want to study in. You would need to find the admission guides that are for international students specifically. These guides will tell you if they will offer fully funded scholarships or if they will offer only partial scholarships. Also, they will tell you the admissions timeline, application forms, and required materials. You need to read these guides very carefully.
- Contact the international admission office if you have any other questions regarding the application process after you have read the application guide. They will gladly answer your questions.
- Visit other scholarship sites such as uscollegeinternational.com to gather information on how to study in USA.
- Follow the admission guidelines and ask for any recommendation letters.
- Fill out the application forms and required materials and submit them using the online application or paper application (whichever the university tells you).
- Wait for the admission decision for either acceptance or rejection.
This is a basic guide on how to study in USA. If you want any questions regarding the admission process, you need to email the Office of International Admissions. They will be more than willing to assist you on your journey. I hope that you will find this guide to be helpful.